Home / News & Politics / National / Explosion In Rivers State Critically Injures Father & Daughter

Explosion In Rivers State Critically Injures Father & Daughter

Did you come across this incident yesterday from The Nation?  just in case you didn’t, it was reported that a father and his daughter got caught up in a kerosene explosion at their home town in Rumueme Community, Obio Akpor, Rivers State. The injuries sustained are extreme and they are therefore pleading for government assistance, although they are currently admitted in different hospitals.

See The Report Below:

Mr. Fidelis Umechukwu and his daughter Chidinma are presently battling for their lives in different hospitals in Port Harcourt, after an explosion that was caused by kerosene at the family residence in Rumueme Community, Obio/Akpor Local government of Rivers State.

Umechukwu, 47 was rushed to Eboyi Hospital at Orazi in Obio/Akpor Local government while his daughter Chidinma 13, who was said to be in a very serious condition, was being treated at Life forth Hospital, Iwofi in the same Obio/Akpor Local government area of Rivers State.

The incident which took place on Sunday evening destroyed the victims’ properties at the kitchen and also affected the main building of their house.

One of the Victims neighbours, Mr. Chigozie Abasirim said before the incident took place Mr. Umechukwu was reading his bible at the front of his house.

He said the explosion took everybody on surprise because nobody expected such a horrible incident to take place that evening.

When The Nation visited Mr. Umechukwu at Eboyi Hospital where he was recuperating, he said he was seriously affected because he took the risk to jump back to the fire to rescue his daughter who he said was smoking with the fire.

He said the explosion occurred when he was refilling the family lantern and his daughter was the one holding the lantern, stressing that the lantern light was still on when it was being refilled.

He noted that his daughter who was seriously affected by the explosion was unconscious when she was rescued.

Umechukwu said: “It was on Sunday, around 7:30 pm, my wife went out, and I decided to enter the kitchen to prepare food that was when my daughter called to inform me that the kerosene in the lantern is running down. I then asked her to bring the kerosene inside the keg to pour in the lantern and before I knew it, the kitchen was set ablaze.

“And my four children were inside the house of which my daughter was with me in the kitchen, immediately I ran out. But I realized my daughter was still inside, that was how I forced myself inside and brought her out. I then went inside and carried the remaining of my children who were in the living room. I am calling on the public to assist me and my daughter to come out of this problem.”

Effort to see his daughter at Life forth Hospital was aborted when one of the doctors told our correspondent that her condition was critical and visitors have been restricted to visit her.

 

About Sheriff Ida

Sheriff Ida - Resourceful mind with dexterity in media contents production.

Check Also

blue news

In Port Harcourt: Gunmen Shutdown Rumuomasi Area During An Operation

The Rumuomasi Area of Port Harcourt City was held to a stand still today during …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *